2013 Chevy Camaro SE

tacgnol76 Friday, 1/17/2014

Jump to last page

Hello all,

I've been lurking on here for a little while, and finally decided to register after getting started on my first (of hopefully many) custom/modded car. May as well share it on here as my first post, eh? It's still a bit of a WIP, but so far I'm pretty happy with the results. Anyway, I decided to tear into the new(ish) 2013 Camaro Special Edition for this. As you can tell from these pics, the only thing I've really done cosmetically is get rid of the B&W racing stripe tampos, and hit the grill area up with a little silver and gold paint details.

Diecast Cars, Hot Wheels, Matchbox

Discussion

Page 1 of 2
View member profile
tacgnol76 1/17/14

Been reading a lot on here about adding extra weight to the rear end, so I went out and grabbed these on my lunch break, at the local KMart...

Managed to squeeze 2 in the little empty space that rests above the rear axles, and filled the rest of the area in with JB Weld. Also took the advice from this site, and used cardboard to evenly space out my axles, and JB Welded them too....

That's about it for now. Just waiting for everything to set, so i can get this thing slapped back together. Should have a finished pic up in the next day or so.

View member profile
tacgnol76 1/17/14

BTW, I guess this wouldn't technically be my first custom. I also turned this '67 Firebird 400 out a little while ago, but didn't really do any mods to it. Basically just a strip-down/re-paint, and I drilled out the hood scoops to open 'em up (hard to tell in the pics).

View member profile
model40fan 1/17/14

hello tachi,
welcome aboard... nice stuff... can't wait to see you in lane two !

View member profile
hotrainiac 1/17/14

Nice grill work on the Camaro. I can remember back when I a steady hand fine detail work. Have you had any luck with tail lights. I cringe when I look at them and try to figure out how to detail them without making it a mess.

View member profile
model40fan 1/17/14

use a paper match, cut it at an angle, the pointed end makes a pretty good paint brush...dip in the paint... cut it as pointed as needed...

View member profile
Milton-Fox 1/17/14

Very nice paint work on the firebird tacgnol76!

What is your technique for the body?

How did you do your tail lights or is that just the lighting. I have used Smittys match stick process with great success. Another process I have used recently is fine and extra fine sharpies - the finish and color depend on what is already there, but it looks okay to me!

View member profile
tacgnol76 1/17/14

Very nice paint work on the firebird tacgnol76!

What is your technique for the body?

How did you do your tail lights or is that just the lighting. I have used Smittys match stick process with great success. Another process I have used recently is fine and extra fine sharpies - the finish and color depend on what is already there, but it looks okay to me!

It's just the lighting. I may go back in an attempt the tail lights using Smitty's matchstick process, though. Sound's like a great idea. As for the body technique, it was all done with acrylic brush paints. Just the $2/bottle stuff you can find in the art and crafts section of Meijer, Wally World, etc. I did a base coat in black, then 2 separate drybrush (wiping most of the paint off on a paper towel) coatings of dark red and bright red. It's a little trick I picked up from back in my days of painting up fantasy miniatures for tabletop wargaming.

View member profile
tacgnol76 1/17/14

Nice grill work on the Camaro. I can remember back when I a steady hand fine detail work. Have you had any luck with tail lights. I cringe when I look at them and try to figure out how to detail them without making it a mess.

Haven't really attempted taillights yet. I did tackle the small "bowtie" and some of the smaller lights on the rest of the Camaro last night, however. ATM, I'm trying to figure out a good mix of red that won't blend in with the rest of paint too much.

View member profile
KandORacing 1/17/14

I like that you opened up the scoops on the Firebird. Great taste in cars by the way

View member profile
tacgnol76 1/17/14

I like that you opened up the scoops on the Firebird. Great taste in cars by the way

Thanx. Growing up outside of Cincinnati, and near the Norwood plant where GM produced many of those classic Camaros and Firebirds, I've always been kinda partial to 'em.

View member profile
Stroller 1/17/14

Could you be known as Long Cat elsewhere?.....

View member profile
tacgnol76 1/17/14

Could you be known as Long Cat elsewhere?.....

No, but nice to know somebody else caught the Long Cat reference with my SN. I was actually sitting here when I registered, trying to think up a good SN to use, and noticed my cat sitting there. He looks dead on like Long Cat's sworn enemy Tac Gnol, so the light bulb kinda went off in my head...lol! the 76 is the year I was born, in case anyone was curious.

to join the conversation or sign-up now