2016 Pro Series: April, GT Classic

Saturday, April 30th, 2016
redlinederby Sunday, 2/28/2016
Site manager

Jump to last page

http://img.redlinederby.com/src/28d83e68.jpg

Welcome to 2016 Pro Series GT Classic. This is the second of 6 tournaments that make up the 2016 Redline Derby Pro Series. Entry is open to everyone. You do not have to have entrered a previous Pro Series tournament to qualify. The points earned in this tournament go towards each racer's Pro Series total. At the end of the year, the racer with the most total points in will be crowned champion.

This will be a standard, double-elimination bracket. The car that wins the final, wins this tournament. Points earned only go towards the Pro Series total, they do not determine the winner of this tournament. 

The next Pro Series tournament will be held in June.

GT Classic

The GT Classic focuses on GT class cars that racing road courses today. The GT class has a long history that covers a lot of different cars but they are not all represented in this tournament. I have selected a broad list of popular GT cars and manufacturers that should not be hard to find in the Hot Wheels world. 

Results

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYtilr-hOLU1q9U0clpXylPWSXQHs3rKe

Congratulations to Traction Event for a hard fought Pro Series victory. Props to Voxxer Racing for some tough competition as he battle far into the upper bracket, then winning the lower bracket for a rematch.

• Traction Event, 60pts
  • Voxxer Racing, 30pts
  • aircooled, 20pts
  • 72_Chevy_C10, 20pts
  • JDC442, 10pts
  • EconoCarl, 10pts
  • CCrider, 10pts
  • CliffordShaw, 10pts
  • WizardOfOz, 10pts

Rules & Restrictions

• Weight: 65g max
  • Car size: Max 3.25" long by 2" high. Width should fit on standard HW orange track.
  • Limit 1 cars per entrant
  • Any brand (See model limits below)
  • Any wheels and axles allowed
  • Must be drilled rivets, no stock entries
  • Dry lubes only
  • Doesn't have to be a new build, you can enter a previous mod if you want

Casting restrictions

The body of your car must be one of the following manufacturers/models of car:

• Any Ferrari
  • Any Aston Martin
  • Any BMW
  • Dodge Viper models
  • Any Porsche
  • Corvette models 1990 and later only
  • Audi R8 and TTS models
  • Any Lotus
  • Ford GT models (No Mustangs)
  • Any Lamborghini
  • Any Panoz
  • Any Maserati
  • Nissan GT-R and Z models
  • Acura NSX and GSR models
  • No concept model cars (regardless of maker)

Prizes

The racer that wins this bracket will receive a $10 Amazon.com gift card (digital), plus a RLD Victory Sticker.

How to enter

Post a reply with your intention to enter, then ship your entry car so that it arrives before April 24, 2016. Racing action and results will go down the weekend of April 30th.

At this time, please PM the host, Chopper, for his mailing address.

Please include an RLD Entry ID Card with your entry along with some money to cover the cost of returning your car if you want it back.

Scoring and Winning

This is a standard, double-elimination bracket. Each match-up will be best 2-out-3, alternating lanes. Seeding will be random as will any byes that are needed. The car that wins the bracket is champ. Points do not determine the winner of this tournament.

Pro Series points are +10 for every win in the main bracket. The tournament winner will receive +20 for the victory. There will be no points awarded for Loser Bracket wins.

Penalties

Cars will be inspected on arrival and checked for weight and other conditions. Any car that fails inspection will be removed from the tournament and returned to the owner.

Each car is given one do-over if they come off the track during a run. If goes off track a second time, it will forfeit that match.

Host Track

This tournament will be racing on Chopper's outdoor track in Portland, OR. It is equipped manual starting gate and sensor finish line, both 3DBotMaker models. Track is 17' long with a 4' hill from 2.5' high. You'll note this is a very flexible track so take that into consideration when building.

http://img.redlinederby.com/mlg/1f04cede.jpg

Discussion

Page 1 of 17
View member profile
72_Chevy_C10 2/28/16

No fte's, huh? That's throwing a little curve in there. Hmmm, what wheels to use?

• Yes to FTE's =rule change — JDC442

A beater '80s Testarossa I have in my collection will do great for this.

View member profile
VoxxerRacing 2/28/16

Please post picture of starting gate.  Thx  Jon

View member profile
redlinederby 2/28/16
Site manager

The starting gate is the 3DBotMaker manual starting gate...same as the one on the Redline Derby home track. I'll try and get some hard measurements posted so you can build accordingly.

View member profile
VoxxerRacing 2/29/16

Could you please give status for width of start gate at yellow drop gate.   Width of drop gate.   End of drop gate to inside of start block both sides.  From drop gate to start of orange track.   Height of drop gate.  Thx.   Jon.  

• Jon, I just looked at the pics of the starting gate that Brian linked to. In almost every pic you can see what your axles got hung up on. — EconoCarl
View member profile
VoxxerRacing 2/29/16

Hello:   Would like a clarification on a rule.  I understand that " no FTE's " are allowed.  Does this included ALL 5 spoke wheels or just " FTE " wheel combo's, ie. 5 spoke wheels and FTE axles.   Thanks   Voxxer

View member profile
redlinederby 2/29/16
Site manager

The only thing not allowed are FTE axles. The wheels themselves don't matter, you can use any design or style you want. 

View member profile
Chopper 2/29/16

Hi All,

I'm really looking forward to hosting this tournament. Having set up the track each of the last two weekends, there are two aspects of it I'm not yet satisfied with. 

The first is that I'm using vintage 2ft lengths of orange track to build the track, and the connection points are less consistent that I'd like. I carefully sorted through both the track and connectors to select the best and yesterday's iteration was much improved, but still not flawless. To correct, I've ordered two rolls of continuous track from eBay. Since this will be an outdoor event, what I'd really like to do is have a 50 ft race. Would anyone be opposed to this? I'd be able to run board underneath the track the entire length of the course, so there wouldn't be the chaos of tracks lying directly on grass. Will do a test run in March and post photos. Drop would be 6-8 feet, and may be two tiered (a 4 foot drop and then another 3 foot drop at the 25 ft mark, for instance).

Second, I used the 3bot starter this weekend, and also was not satisfied with the consistency of the starts. Then, last night, I watched Voxxer's Turbolence have trouble getting out of the gate. If Smitty is reading this, how does one go about getting one of those Smitty Sloppy Starters for this event?

• Use clear packing tape to smooth out connections between tracks . — VoxxerRacing
  • Beware that rolled track outside. It will change a lot based on temperature and conditions. — redlinederby
View member profile
aircooled 2/29/16

Need some help I understand no FTE axles, what are HSW axles?

• HSW= High Speed Wheels. Here a wiki link: http://hotwheels.wikia.com/wiki/Team_Hot_Wheels_High-Speed_Wheel — EconoCarl
  • Are those the kind of wheels that are on Unobtanium? — Chopper
  • Yes they are Chopper. It's not all about the wheels/axles! I've had regular 5 spokes with regular axles win against FTEs ans HSWs. — EconoCarl
  • Agreed. FTEs aren't a guarantee, just a solid starting point — redlinederby
View member profile
72_Chevy_C10 2/29/16

I'm having a little trouble figuring out that one myself, Richard. I think that Brian does not want fte axles used, but you can use any wheels (including ftes).

My problem is that this rule is almost impossible to enforce. I mean, (no offense intended, Chopper), but does Chopper know what an fte axle looks like vs any other axle? And how about Color change axles...they are nickel plated just like the fte axles.

I know that the race will be coming up soon, but I'd say either allow fte's (and their axles) or don't allow them or their axles...it would make it easier to enforce and more fair.

My 2 cents

• None taken. I can spot the wheels, not the axles. — Chopper
  • Fair enough. I guess the question has never come up before... — redlinederby

Many pre-2000 axles are also much shinier than today's axles but are not like FTEs. The 1996 Zombot release is an example.

View member profile
Chopper 3/1/16

These just arrived:

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr4/ryan_fisher4/Mobile%20Uploads/5AEFA793-F754-477F-BE40-C0A25B2...

• Be patient unrolling that and getting it straight. Takes a lot of hair dryer time to unfold. — redlinederby

to join the conversation or sign-up now