Page 2 of 17

2016 Pro Series: April, GT Classic

Jump to first page Jump to last page

Hey Chopper,

Advice for setting up your track...I would suggest supporting it the best you can (maybe 2x4's or 2x6's). And I like using using aluminum to support the drop (.125" x 6" x 6')...it provides support, but also has a nice gradual slope..

But, the most important thing is that is runs straight...just the slightest curve will give one lane an advantage. A way to test this is by running similar cars down the track...the finishing gap between the cars should be pretty close on both lanes...little tweaks make a big difference.

Have you gotten in touch with Smitty? His starters do work well!

View member profile
redlinederby 3/1/16
Site manager

On the topic of FTEs...

Okay then...I guess call me silly...we've had plenty of "No FTE" races in the past without any confusion, so what's different about this time? 

Or maybe it's just we don't have any clear guidelines for what qualifies as an FTE axle...? Anything that is the nickel-plated axles is an FTE in my book. But I agree that it's difficult to enforce and I'm sure there are low-friction axles in non-Hot Wheels cars too that we don't even know about.

So in the absence of more clearly defined terms, I'm going to switch the GT Classic to allow any wheels. We can avoid confusion and needless debate for a series that has already started. 

But if this has never been an enforceable rule, why have we had no FTE tournaments in the past then? Or have we just been running on assumptions and honor system for too long at this point?

You had said that you could run any wheels, even fte wheels, but no fte axles...that is impossible to check. If the rules are "No ftes", that means no fte wheels or axles...if the rules allow ftes, that means both wheels and axles. By saying you can run fte wheels, but not the axles, there's no way to check if the axles are fte or not.

View member profile
redlinederby 3/1/16
Site manager

Gotcha and that makes sense...and it does go back to (lack of) definitions. I've always understood "No FTE" to mean just the axles because the wheels themselves don't make a difference. And I never worried about enforcement because the honor system has been the defacto here for years. Just shows it is time to get specific, that's all...and that's a good problem to have, and an easy one to solve.

But either way...GT Classic is now any wheels/axles allowed. You can use FTEs if you want.

View member profile
redlinederby 3/1/16
Site manager

Good call on the Acuras, missed them. But going to limit them to NSX and GSR models. No concept cars. I'll update the rules list.

View member profile
fordman 3/1/16

not a GT fan at all, don't think i own one...

any chance of having...  "outlaw" entries ?...

maybe they would have to be in a win to get in at every heet as a penalty...

not complaining...

Sounds interesting, lets see what we can dig up at the garage

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj515/majestik9/stawkastoy003_zpsa86f2446.jpg

View member profile
EconoCarl 3/1/16

Hey Schmitty, build an "OUTLAW" GT car. Go pick a Porsche car off of a peg and give it the ol' Sloppy Jalopy treatment! Put the body on a Way-2-Fast base, have a SBF protruding from the trunk (that's the front of the car) and add some white walls. Lots of possibilities. 

View member profile
redlinederby 3/1/16
Site manager

Gotta say we're gonna keep this in-theme, so no outlaws...but Carl is right, GT class cars are plentiful on the pegs and I think we'd all love to see what Smitty can do to a Porsche!

However...your outlaw suggestion is a great idea for next year. Like everyone gets one Outlaw Card to play during the 2017 Pro Series. Lets them build an off-theme car for any one tournament but they can only use it once.

View member profile
Raceghost 3/2/16

Looks like a good place to start. Any age limit?

to join the conversation or sign-up now