Page 3 of 4

2016 Pro Series, June: Truck-O-Rama III

Jump to first page Jump to last page

View member profile
aircooled 6/2/16

I'm not sure why it is so hard to get a race run in the Pro Series.  Once the rules are posted  if there is a problem with the rules right after they are posted and corrected that is fine.  However, it would be even better to get them right the first time and maybe put out a draft before they go final. 

As for this race we built our entries according to the posted rules and to change the length last minute because someone has a problem with their build is just wrong!!  I understand that can happen but that is no reason to change the length to 4 inches.  Please put the length back to what it was originally which is 3.25".  Because someone makes a mistake with their build is NO reason to change the rules after cars have been mailed in and others are finishing up their builds. 

I really don't understand how a simple hobby can be so hard to get right and enjoy. 

Richard

"Aircooled Racing"

I do not have a horse in this race, but I agree once the rules are set... they are SET and not to be changed as a matter of fairness to all participants.

Now back to playing with our toy cars... remember this is supposed to be fun. We are a small dedicated group of crazies that build, modify and race 1:64 scale cars... we should not fight and divide ourselves over simple things.  I truly enjoy racing, building and competing against you all.  More division between racers means less participation.

View member profile
redlinederby 6/3/16
Site manager

Well that escalated quickly...

Whatever. Rules can be changed back to 3.5" if it's that big of a stink. The car that's longer can be run in the lower bracket or not at all or whatever makes the most sense...or in another race entirely. I don't care.

...Steps on soapbox...

I'm starting to think we should just stop the Pro Series as it is rather than continue on. Maybe it's time for a Flood. Whether through our own doings or from outside forces, this has been a complete cluster from the get go...and for what it's worth, I apologize. However, when folks start saying things like, "wow, I didn't expect it to be such a big deal," it means we have some issues.

Because it shouldn't be a big deal. Should rules be rules? Yes...but we break rules all the time. "Hey, my car got held up by the USPS, can I join late?" The response is usually, "sure, the more racing the better," and with that we broke a rule. Clearly, not all rules are created equal.

We've gone from "common sense" rules to "hardcore" rules and that's not what we want...it's not what I want. Somebody said something needs to change, and they're right...all the bitching and complaining. I admire passion in people but when that passion detracts from the experience and entertainment of others, things start to go off the rails, and here we are.

We're racing toy cars here, people. And we're not racing them for any significant stakes. No one should get penalized if a car is a few grams over or slightly over length. Again, common sense rules. If someone tosses in a 6" car against a bunch of 3" cars then yeah, one of these things is not like the other. The scenarios by which people are denied racing should be very, very few and far between. Remember, the more racing the better.

I know I've done my fair share of "sorry, that doesn't qualify" stuff in the past, and that was a response to the (unexpected) foul cries from the crowd. I was taken by surprise and tried to deal with it the best way I could, but those decisions were wrong and just ended up feeding the trolls. So I apologize. Lesson learned.

We're quickly approaching the "this isn't fun anymore" point and that makes me sad. Sad because I've been unable (or unwilling) to control it, but also sad that it's even come this in the first place. Why we're arguing about a half an inch is beyond me. If you race and win, great, you've won. If you race and lose, you lose...so what? The fun here is building cars, seeing each other's work and watching them roll down a track. No one should be losing their shit over this stuff.

We're always saying the more racing the better but we're clearly more concerned about not getting a $10 gift card or free Hot Wheels car...or nothing at all.

I will change the length rule back, that's fine. But we need to go back to more common sense rules and less hardcore snobbery. This ain't the Olympics. Otherwise we just might as well stop because no one wants to play in that type of environment...and I don't want this to be that type of environment. I'd rather have Redline Derby be known for loose rules where people can still play, than by-the-book-gotta-pass-inspection hardcore racing. Do we need to be fair? Yes...then lets be fair.

...Steps off soapbox...

I need a drink.

Ummm , Brian, I'm pretty sure you are the one that wanted to "clamp down on all these loose, 'wild west,' rules", if I'm not mistaken :) 

Just sayin'

• Yes, but we've swung too far the other way — redlinederby
View member profile
redlinederby 6/3/16
Site manager

You're right but "those decisions were wrong and just ended up feeding the trolls." A man is allowed to be wrong :) Not to mention, "always easier said than done."

But still...if the rules say 3.5" length max and someone enters a 3.75" car, it shouldn't cause quite the stir.

You do not burn down the house because it is the wrong color, you repaint it. 

I give 100 percent kudos to Brian, for what he has made of this group.

I suggest, we all grab a gallon of paint, brushes and start painting.  We just need to figure out what color it will be.

Jon

Voxxer Racing 

How about a standard 2g over limit and a 1/4" to 1/2" limit over you get to race far as mail if if gets lost(not mailed late) if it's in time for the race,race them that's still loose but it's  fair and we can keep this as a standard, or something along those lines, I just want to race, my son enjoys watching are cars go around the country and I agree with Brian as long as there is no extreme violations i.e. 6" cars racing 3" cars let them, the more the merrier 

• All I'm saying is loose rules within reason should race — Eastbound357
  • And to think I spent over $20 to make sure my GT Classic entry made it there before the deadline -still hasn't been raced ;P — JDC442
  • And there were those guys that built cars that didn't fit the rules so they had to send in alternate cars. — EconoCarl
View member profile
gtaman 6/3/16

Hey guys, on a positive note, I am getting more cars by the day, this should be an awesome race! I got Voxxer's car today, havent opened the others yet Lots o boxes tho.  

I am new to the group but I joined to race so lets git r done!

• Holy cow, there is gonna be a race? Oh yeah, this is a race thread... — CrzyTrkrDude
View member profile
gtaman 6/4/16

https://www.instagram.com/chadfr33man

Check out my instagram feed for photos of the entries

• great pics... who entered that red truck? — Traction-Event
  • THe first red truck is Aircooled, the 2nd one is Voxxer :) — 72_Chevy_C10
  • The pics look great, Chad! — 72_Chevy_C10
  • I made a light box based in redlinederbys first design link in the header of the site, that pic is on a turntable as well — gtaman
View member profile
JDC442 6/4/16

Will be shipping out Monday morning.

• F-40 wheels on the rescue ranger... nice — Traction-Event
  • It's an Emergency Squad from my childhood collection. Yes, tore apart some gold F40's to make this beast. — JDC442
  • I wondered if anyone would do a rescue ranger, it was on my list as well but went with something else — gtaman

I've ran out of cash for return shipping money. Could I ship stamps with my entry as an alternative?

• Not sure, how does that work? I guess $4 worth would do it? — gtaman
  • 1 stamp per ounce, and the car weighs 2.3 ounces, so 3 stamps would do. — Brakefluid_Tracksurgeon
  • If Paypal isn't an option, don't worry about it. You'll get your car back. — redlinederby

My van should arrive Thursday.  Looking forward to seeing this race.

to join the conversation or sign-up now