20 Car Championship idea using WRC rally scoring

Ender0656 Sunday, 2/14/2021

Hello everyone, first time poster and new to the community. I thought I'd introduce myself by sharing a championship scoring system that uses many elements from the professional rally car system. I have just held the first "season" of a diecast world rally championship. This championship consisted of four rallies, each with four stages. Rally scoring as I'm using it is as follows: Instead of head-to-head racing, each driver is timed from start to finish through the stage. Each stage is a completely different track set up. This season I have started all races with my six lane Hotwheels track but many different variations once the cars cleared it. I have used everything from curves, to boosters, to jumps, to Adventure Force Raceway. At the end of the rally all the stages are added together and the top 10 drivers with the fastest time are awarded points. Over the course of four rallies these points are added together to declare a champion. 

I have created a overly complicated spreadsheet with all the championship data and I'll provide a google drive link later but for now I'll step through the most important portions. You may notice that many of the cars have the exact same time, this is due to the DNF rule in my championship. Any car that does not finish a race for any reason gets a DNF. Cars with a DNF in the stage have their time created by taking the fastest drivers time and adding five seconds to it. 

The next tab is the Championship tab

Here you can see a tabulation of all points awarded to all the drivers across the four rallies. In addition to the drivers’ championship there is also a manufacturers’ championship. In this season Ford, Subaru, and Audi were the participating teams. Each team chooses its top 2 drivers and adds their points the manufacturers score. 

Here you can see that in Rally 1 Ford's top 2 drivers scored 25 points and 6 points for a total of 31 points to be added to the manufacturers score. 

Starting in Rally 3 I began including non-WRC drivers in order to simulate "trying out" for professional status.

The leads me to the next tab, the Career tab. The career tab lists the number of wins, podiums, championships wins, and championship podiums for a driver. It also lists the driver’s division at the beginning of the season. There are currently three divisions, WRC, the most professional and fastest drivers, followed by the WRC2 and the WRC 3. Based off performance drivers can be promoted or demoted to different divisions and can even be removed from the WRC entirely for the next season. 

Now that the season is finished, I haven’t exactly worked out how I'm going to promote, demote, or bring in new talent yet but I am open to suggestions. There are some obvious choices for promotion such as the Subaru Impreza Maroon, who consistently outperformed WRC drivers. 

I hope that that covers just about everything as far as the spreadsheet goes. Now there are several new ideas that I'd like to try as well as issues that I would like help with solving. 

In the next season I would like to score each division separately and award points for the division winners. I would also like to include a dice element to simulate the ever-present chance of car failure in rally. For instance, at the beginning of a stage each car would have a ten-sided die rolled for him and on a 1 sometime penalty will be applied. I could even roll on another table to determine the specific failure (only for fluff reasons), ie tire puncture, engine failure, etc. Additionally, I would like to increase the penalty for cars that crash off the course to simulate the need to repair the car after a serious wreck.

Now that we've talked about what is coming in season 2 I would like to talk about my main issue as I see it. The failure rate for each track that I create is way too high. I think roughly half the cars fail to complete the course. I have tried to combat this by using recce cars to run the course and test the track. If 3 out of the 5 recce cars make it through then the track is certified. I also see a need to run the WRC2 and WRC3 cars on shorter versions of the track as they are slower cars and are accruing many DNFs. That being said I think the penalty for crashing versus failing to make it to the end of the track should be different, I just don’t know how yet.

I think that’s about it. I hope that this will be of interest to someone. I am of course open to questions comments and critiques. I'll leave you with a shot of the current season's drivers. And a google drive link to the entire spreadsheet. 

WRC Spreadsheet

to join the conversation or sign-up now