Page 2 of 2

2014 Mainline test and tunes

Jump to first page

View member profile
Milton-Fox 2/3/14

Diecast Cars, Hot Wheels, Matchbox

An interesting experience with this little dune buggy today. It is fairly hefty for its size at 32 g and just barely a 35.5 mm wheelbase. Both the body and base are metal with a plastic windshield and interior. The rear wheels are very very loose both up and down and side to side in the back, but only side to side in the front. The track width is 28 mm max front and back.

It actually got out of the gate quicker than all but the top 12 cars in the 36 car race box and managed to stay in the lead for over half the course before it was passed by everyone else. If you took the interior out - there is some room to add weight. Might be a good contender if we every run a short wheelbase limited series.

Our first race of the season happened yesterday, we had over 850 cars show up. The only 2014 cars that jumped out at me were in a class that we call Rip n Zip. We had around 30 unopened cars that had to have color wheels and most of them were from the 2014 releases.

By the time we got to the final four, three of the cars were the same. The Prototype H-24

I haven't raced one myself but I do have one. I am going to leave it packaged until our next Rip N Zip class though, as it is for 2014 releases.

After what I saw yesterday, this could be the most promising car yet.

View member profile
Milton-Fox 2/10/14

I opened up the new 2014 casting of the Hot Wheels Aston Martin DBS today.

I was not expecting to much out of the car, but I think it looks great in the dark British Racing Green, silver interior and lace (wire rim) wheels. It is a light weight car - weighing in at only 30 grams. Everything is plastic except for the body. It has a wheel based of 40 mm, and a different maximum track width of 29 mm at the front and 28 at the back!?!.

It wasn't consistent in each test run against the 36th through 13th race car box vehicles - actually winning 3 races. But in the placement series running against 13th to 36th it didn't win a single race! But it did lead some races part way and lost by more than a car length in other races! The wheels dont seem that sloppy, but the rear axle is very tight. I did find a molding burr on each wheel.

So it is going into the graphite and wheel treatment box for retesting later on.

Did I mention how good it looks!

View member profile
GspeedR 2/15/14

Ageed on the new Aston....nice car to look at, but not proportioned for the track.

I'll give fastest 2014 HW car I've tested. Has anyone else rolled one yet???

GspeedR

Another 37g wonder.. I picked one of these up suprisingly fast. long wheelbase...but weight on the wrong end, fat rear tires? still quick

View member profile
GspeedR 3/30/14

I just found the Fast Bed Hauler too. Mine is fairly quick on the straits, but It doesn't like metal chassis version of 'Laferrari' in a future Hot Ones series??

GspeedR

View member profile
GspeedR 4/4/14

I found a few more `14 cars @ Wally this evening. unlubed Ryura LX consistently stayed side-by-side all the way down the track and only lost by a fender. I'm going to break it in a bit more to see if it can take over the top spot. Either way, you might want to add this one to your "must have" list.

GspeedR

to join the conversation or sign-up now