2014 Mainline test and tunes

Milton-Fox Tuesday, 12/31/2013

Jump to last page

Diecast Cars, Hot Wheels, Matchbox

Iowastockcars threads on the fastest mainlines by year gave me the ideal to start a thread on our 2014 mainline test and tunes.

The Mustang is the first 2014 I have run and it beat a few cars during its warm up/break in heets, but lost 24 straight in head to head competition! It was first out of the gate on many of the head to head runs and ran really well on the down hill 6 lane ramp. But at the transition to the flat section track - its rear end started to wiggle a lot and the bouncing around from side to side allowed everyone to pass it in the last 3 feet of the scale 1/8 mile set up. After lubing with graphite at all four corners, it only won back 6 places.

Edit 5 Jan 14:

After GspeedR's post I have come back to add some details about the Mustang and my track set up.

Track release height: 17"; downhill ramp length: 92"; flat HW orange track Sections: 30"; Finish line at: 122" (approximately a scale 1/8 mile)

The Mustang weighed in at 36g; with a WB (wheel base) of 46mm; the WW (wheel width) 28mm (width of wheel - max outside edge to max outside edge)

Discussion

Page 1 of 2
View member profile
GspeedR 12/31/13

Great topic idea, Mr. Fox! I saw Racegrooves video as well and was surprised to see that Mustang run through his booster-driven stunt track. I've avoided this car because of its narrow track-width which makes it prone to oscillations...but it seems that you've already discovered this.

Here's a 2014 model that I've "tested & tuned".

The Rip Rod - 2014 HW Off-Road
small (length 55mm, WB 44mm) and weighs in @ only 30 grams. LOTS of plastic in this car...3 separate pieces comprise the body, interior, grill, and exhaust. The red-painted metal chassis makes up most of this car's mass. The chassis has small, wing-like 'flanks' in a common balancing point on each side(rolled a Rip Rod??

View member profile
Milton-Fox 1/5/14

Today I ran the new Quick n' Sic from the Speed Team HW City Mainline series.

Although the body is still metal - it only weighs in at 26 g as everything else is plastic.

It has a wheel base of 41 mm; a front wheel max width of 30 mm and rear wheel max width at 31 mm. The front axle was loose side to side, but could be centered a bit (tight enough to stay in place). The rear axle was loose side to side and the wheel weight is enough to move it to one side or the other when tilted. I didnt notice any up and down movement in either of the axles.

It did run well - staying right beside all 36 current vehicles in my race box, but never lead a race or won a race at that level of competition. After graphite on all four wheels - it still did not win a race against the race box vehicles. Might be a good contender in the feather weight class, but otherwise would need more weight to be competitive. I personally like the open hole 5 spokes and they may make a good donor wheel when we run out of FTE 1s!

Track set up (approximately a scale 1/8 mile): release point height: 17"; downhill ramp length: 92"; flat track (HW orange sections) length: 29.25"; finish line at: 10' 1.25"

View member profile
GspeedR 1/6/14

I personally like the open hole 5 spokes and they may make a good donor wheel when we run out of FTE 1s!

OH5s are my favorite as well. They're also the most difficult wheel to apply graphite to(lack of a flat surface to "catch" the excess). If they're molded well(eg."round & true"), stock OH5s can easily be made to most interested in reading about the RLD members' perspective of the Porsche Panamera, Alfa Romeo 8c Competizione, 1990 Honda Civic EF, Fast 4WD, and Lamborghini Sesto Elemento.

Have raced multiple 2014 releases so far, nothing great yet. Best one so far:

These are okay with some wins but also some losses
Rip Rod
MR11
90 Honda Civic EF
Toyota 2000 GT

I still have many that haven't been opened yet.

Looking forward to trying the '71 Mustang Funny Car. I think it is an all metal dragster. Should be hitting shelves about now.

View member profile
Milton-Fox 1/20/14

This downhill grudge match with the Rip Rod vs a (new) Max Steel Racer was posted today from the die cast racers group. Both are pretty light weight. There is also new color (blue) of the Max Steel in the E lots.

Rip Rod (video link)

View member profile
GspeedR 1/20/14

I picked up "The Vanster" this weekend, so here a quick review.

(Borrowed Image)

This car totally faked me out...from the body's new sub-30 gram cars. In true van-like proportions, The Vanster balances its 66mm long body over only a 36mm wheelbase...SWB?...umm, yea. On the track, my Vanster ran fairly well on the strait-aways but slowed significantly in tight curves...obvious body rub. While I think this 'car' has endless mod possibilities, I have a feeling it'll rank pretty low among other 2014 new models.

GspeedR

View member profile
Milton-Fox 1/27/14

I ripped and rolled a 2014 Rip Rod today. Running on the 1/8 of mile track set up as described earlier. As GspeedR noted it is pretty good roller for a small car with a centralized mass. I didnt graphite the wheels and it is currently in the top 15. The only thing I have to add is the wheel maximum widths at 31 mm front and back. There is also a lot of up and down and side to side play in both axles. Neither is tight and the front is very loose side to side and up and down.

A simple wheel swap has brought this car to life...graphite next...

View member profile
Milton-Fox 1/28/14

Traction,

Do you fix your axles or leave them loose?

Traction,

Do you fix your axles or leave them loose?

loose so far...but better than they were stock.

View member profile
GspeedR 1/28/14

I finally got my hands on several new 2014 cars this week. Since this one performed the best right out of the package, I decided to review it first.

1990 Honda Civic EF - 2014 HW City
small OH5s!!). But not only is it 'fast', its also exceptionally stable. It rolls strait-n-smooth in a single lane and displayed solid directional stability on Fat Track. It seems to be evenly matched with last year's Lotus Evora GT4 on the drag strip, which is no slouch on my track.

GspeedR

View member profile
Milton-Fox 1/31/14

I ran this OH 5 Spoke wheeled version of the 2014 Sling Shot yesterday. It also is very light weight at only 28g with just a metal body. The wheel base is 47mm and the track width 31mm. The rear wheels have almost 3 mm of side to side play. It managed 29th place in the race box without graphite on the wheels and run straight on each run staying within a car length ahead or behind of all 24 cars it ran against. There is lots of room in the cock pit area to add weight!

to join the conversation or sign-up now