Since we're all gung ho about videos now, here's a quick how-to on how to create a YouTube playlist for videos. A playlist is a great way to group together related videos.
Playlists make it so you only have to add 1 link to your post, rather than having to add a new link for every video you make. Everytime you add a video to a playlist, it will update in your post automatically. Plus, you can also order a playlist as you see fit through YouTube.
Using playlists also lets the web page load faster since it doesn't have to go through dozens of videos in on shot.
I try to make playlists on the RLD YouTube account but it's hard for me to keep up, so anything you guys can do will help everyone, and is very much appreciated.
When to use a playlist
Use a playlist when you know you'll have more than one video to share for any given event. Maybe you'll have a separate video for each round, or maybe there are several people uploading videos for a single series. These are all good scenarios for when a playlist makes sense.
Playlists are especially helpful for a series of tournaments that may span many weeks and many different hosts. Rather than have people hope around to to different posts in the thread looking for answers...a playlist gives them one easy spot to watch.
Creating a YouTube playlist
1. Find the first video you want to add to your playlist, and click the +Save option in the menu below the video. This will open up a menu and then select Create new playlist at the bottom.
2. Give your playlist a name, probably the name of the tournament, and click Create. Your playlist will be created and that video added to it immediately. Congrats, you just made a playlist!
3. Next time you upload a video, click the +Save again and your playlist should be in the list. Just pick it and the video will be added.
After you add at least one video to your playlist, you can link to the playlist in your post. The site should recognize the link and automatically turn it into a video player when you save.
Should also note this isn't the only way to create playlist, but it's the way I create them. If you find an easier way that makes more sense to you, please share so everyone can learn.
Getting your playlist link
1. Click the main menu icon in the top-left of the page if the side menu isn't already open. Playlists you have created will appear there, just look for the one your created, and click on it.
2. After clicking, you'll see the playlist page with all the videos lists. Highlight and copy the web address link at the top of the browser.
3. Paste that link into your post and when you publish, the site will convert that link into a video player.
What you see below is an example playlist from the Beetle Bash. Notice in the corner how it shows how many videos there are and which one you're watching. One video player, not 20.
Another nice thing about playlists is that they will automatically play the next video in the list, so you don't have to keep going up and down in a post to find the video you want to watch.
You don't have to make a playlist but they're really handy and help make things easier to watch for everyone. They're not hard to create or use once you know they're an option. If you have any questions or problems, please post and we'll figure out the answer.