Battle of the Builders
Here are the cars making up Team Redline Derby. Elite crew, if I may say so myself.
RLD Racing / Nissan 180SX
Traction Event / Porsche Panamera
Go Time Racing / Muscle Speeder
League of Speed / BMW M1
Mattman213 / Silver Bullet
Sam Dany / Gov'ner
Worpex Racing / Shadow Jet
Voxxer Racing / Mitsubishi Evo
I don't have photos of the Autobody Specialists team cars yet, hopefully get those Thursday for a quick preview before the Friday race.
- Good looking group of misfits right there. Hope they all do us proud! Worpex and I both tossing some vintage junk into the mix!!! — Mattman213
- Oh yeah, vintage junk HYPE! I'm just hoping my car doesn't get completely embarrassed. — WorpeX
- Nah itll be good, those suckers can be quick as is so hopefully with a little work yours will rip — Mattman213
- That 180 looks familiar... — Traction-Event
- Mattman213 - I see what you're doing with those wheels. — ChiefWopahoo
- That Nissan has some smooth wheels...just re-did the guts a bit. It's going into the Downhill Drags too along with Snoopy. — redlinederby
- Bruno, I found my first Zamac not too long ago and it was a Salt Shaker. Ive been messing with all colors and sizes of the skinny wheels and never could find a set that was smooth to save my life. I popped open the Zamac and they werent what I would call butter but they were WAY better than the rest so I tried them and the thing screamed. Hopefully after a quick polish and sanding they will continue to do so with this car. Ive since bought a handful more of them and they are all duds LOL — Mattman213
Group shot of the Autobody Specialists's team along with the Battle of the Builders Award. Clearly we appear to be in the little leagues.. BUT.. there may be a surprise or two, or three, in that field. Tomorrow evening, David takes on Goliath again!! - Bruno
- You have home field advantage so you have an edge for sure — redlinederby
- Never take the "underdog" lightly, especially 1) when they claim to be the underdog and 2) when they have home track advantage ;o) Gonna be fun, good luck everyone! — Mattman213
- yeah I dunno, all of those look faster than the rust heap I sent in! At least they have FTEs! — WorpeX
We'll be using a Google spreadsheet to log the times and track results for this race. It's a time tournament so that's all we're tracking, not who beat who in any given match-up.
Racing is expected to happen after 5pm tonight.
Click here for real-time results
I am hoping to get full video for this race since it should be pretty quick to run, although any video from Friday & Saturday won't get produced and posted until probably Sunday or Monday with all the other recaps.
- Sounds good! We will be on the road all day so itll be cool to check out the updates this evening and see how things are going! — Mattman213
Check out the final time standings here
You didn't need any tea leaves to know how this one was going to end up. I'm proud to say that Team Redline Derby took home the coveted Red Stallion in the 1st Annual Battle of the Builders. The team from Autobody Specialists put up a good fight, but alas, it was not enough.
Big congrats go to Matt Allen (Mattman213) on having the fastest car out of the whole bunch. His Silver Bullet clocked in an even 2.00 sec run, which was also an all-time track best. So not only did we collectively raise hell, Matt left some extra stank that won't soon be washed away. And I think we can safely say that Matt no longer qualifies as a "rookie" around these parts.
On the other side of the aisle, Bruno's Mad Splash boat - yes, a boat - was the best of the ABS bunch with a 2.02 run and the only Autobody team member to crack the Top 10. The ABS team had 9 cars to RLD's 8 so only the one slowest was excluded from the team average.
Overall, the average time for Team RLD was 2.02 sec, while Team ABS was 2.07 sec. So while we took home the trophy, you can see that everyone had some speedy cars.
As per the race setup, both Matt and Bruno will receive a Redline Derby Axle Alignment Jig for being the fastest of their team. Congrats to everyone for a great race and high fives all around for Team Redline Derby!
I have video for most of the time races but quality might be iffy. We had to keep up the pace so we didn't outstay our welcome on a Friday night. I'll try to put together some sort of highlight reel at least and get it up next week.
- Also, since this was a team vs team race, we didn't do any tie-breakers or anything. But that just means we can have some grudge matches later. — redlinederby
- My car beat a couple of the ABS guys so I'd say I didn't get completely embarressed! Goal comleted! Congrats to Mattman and thanks everyone from RLD for carrying me and my vintage junk to the team winners circle! — WorpeX
Very Cool!!!! Awesome job Matt congrats and a huge thank you to RLD and Autobody specialist for hosting. Also gotta say I was surprised at how close this was...this is what we do and the autobody boys were nipping at our heals...great job everyone.
- Thanks you wore us all out in the RLD round Robin and we all put in the work in this race. Really looking forward to seeing what tomorrow holds! — Mattman213
- Agreed to Go Time’s comments well said! Happy to see my car performed well. — Traction-Event
When I put the Bullet together, wasn't even polished, glued or weighed down and i sent it for a test pass and it screamed. I was shocked and immediately put it into the front of the line to finish up for this race. All that paid off and I'm glad to see it worked just as well out there!!!!
- Your car was torching the track. Super nice piece! Congrats and it’s definitely the one with the target on its back today. Overheard though when we were talking about and admiring your build; “rookie my azz” lol!!! — ChiefWopahoo
- Ha first time doing any of this. I nodded when I was a kid for looks and only just now got into the racing game. I've been mid pack and 2nd-3rd at best so it's fun to see a build finally rip. Honestly I love seeing the diversity of builds and builders and am enjoying the hobby very much. Hope today's event is nothing less than a BLAST for yall and thanks again for making it happen. — Mattman213
Clearly Team Redline has no mercy in their hearts for the less prepared and skilled, and that's just the way we like it. Congrats to everyone that sent a car to represent Redline, it's a great flock of racers for sure! It was fun to watch and I liked the team vs team format and I'll be the first to say it...
Just wait 'till next year!!!!
Due to the post office holdiay on Monday 2/17, the deadline has been extended to Wednesday 2/19. The last pickup will be late afternoon. But even with an extra day, your cars should probably get into the mail this weekend if they're not on their way already.
There will be no pickup on Thursday or Friday. I need those days to tag all the cars and prep for racing. Any cars that arrive after the cutoff will be returned over the following week along with all other entries.