eta of Friday, thank you

2seven

View member profile
delta6 11/6/15

Cool! Tracking says it's delivered.

View member profile
redlinederby 11/8/15
Site manager

Official roll call for the race. Team photos added to the first post at the top. With any luck, I'll be racing tonight (Sunday) but probably won't get results up until later this week along with a video.

• 2Seven
  • FOTF
  • K&O
  • Rally Case
  • RedlineDerby
  • Saleens281
  • TractionEvent
  • Crazy Trucker

As you'll see from the team pics, gonna be some good Matchbox racing! It's like a race of legends with all the Datsuns and AMGs in the mix. I managed to dig up some cars in my stash and just gotta hope they do well.

Also...I've never seen so many cars shamelessly drenched in graphite. Love it!

Reminder to all entrants: This is NOT a pink slips race, so the prize pot may not include all the cars you see in the photos. For those that wanted their MBX cars back, they included replacement cars that will be in the pot.

• Wow some heavy hitters in the line up... RLD love that Chevy Stocker — Traction-Event
  • Oh and to start the smack talk... i'm gonna whip y'all!!! :) — Traction-Event
  • TE did you end up using graphite in the end or not? Should be interesting to watch — KandORacing
  • for the record, lol... mine were still carded, no graphite. feeling Luhuhuhuhuhky!! LIL — CrzyTrkrDude
  • I opened one heavy international, it's wheels spun forever. — CrzyTrkrDude
  • and I thought, "What, if anything, is FASTER than a NYC TAXI?????? LOL — CrzyTrkrDude
  • soooooo, I see Gold AND SILVER in MY FUTURE! SORRY YA'LL!! ( Schmack talkin') — CrzyTrkrDude
View member profile
redlinederby 11/9/15
Site manager

...so I didn't get to racing Sunday night, kid issues took priority but hopefully Monday night wins out.

I didn't do any test runs or anything but those Datsuns do seem like they have some sweet axle/wheels. I forget which one it was, but on them were totally silent when I spun them with my fingers. Watch out for that one!

The Judge GTO has some awesome suspension too...it freakin' bounces. I had it on the table and bumped the table a bit that it popped up a bit and it was pretty funny. Made me start to wonder what advantages lie in axles with some give to them...especially on segmented tracks or open roads.

View member profile
Dadvball 11/9/15

You never know with cars like that GTO. I have several with the spring action (don't know what the official MB terminology is) as do some of the other LJLRC guys.  One month they run great. The next month a bunch are running off the track. We all figure it's due to the suspension. Axles might hit a part of the track where the body dips slightly and then it bounces up and off the track. 

View member profile
redlinederby 11/9/15
Site manager

Got the racing done tonight but will probably take me a while to get the video together, so results will get posted later. But here's some action to put a smile on your face...you know that suspension we were talking about? Yeah...I think that GTO had a bit too much spring in its step.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff3YtK9gNW0

Otherwise, the racing overall wasn't too bad. About 50/50 in terms of drama. A lot of the cars you might have expected to move on through the bracket did but there were several that did much better than I expected. And lets just say the loser's bracket saved the day for someone...

• for some reason, I keep getting an error message? — CrzyTrkrDude
  • the s'pense is making me CRRAAZZYYYYY, wait, I'm always CRAZY!! — CrzyTrkrDude
  • I'm telling ya, little tiny ghost people behind the wheel!! DEFINETLY!!! LOL — CrzyTrkrDude
View member profile
redlinederby 11/12/15
Site manager

Trying to get some things in order for returning cars...

I figure all the Laser Wheels entries going back home, who else wants their cars back? Any car unclaimed goes into the prize pot for the winner.

• Results?... If this is not a winner take all... I'll need to send you some cash — Traction-Event
View member profile
CrzyTrkrDude 11/12/15

Got a question... Did I miss a link to the video, or winner circle or sumtin???

( send my two, to the winner)

View member profile
redlinederby 11/12/15
Site manager

Results are coming soon...still putting together the video. Or I can put up results now and video later. Was trying to do it all at once but given video is so slow to make I should probably just post up.

@TE - It's not a winner take all if you want, per se...if you sent in extra cars for the prize then you can get your MBX entries back.

• I might say, if you can get the video up tonight, do that; otherwise just the results (though I do enjoy watching the video without... — FOTF
  • ...knowing the results ahead of time). — FOTF
  • Whew, I'm just glad I didn:'t miss sumtin. lol — CrzyTrkrDude
View member profile
redlinederby 11/12/15
Site manager

CORRECTION: After reviewing video during production, I discovered I reported the wrong final result. Traction Event won this tournament with K&O coming in second. Please the first post for correct results and video.

Okay...results it is. First post has been updated with the winner.

Congratulations, K&O Racing! His Datsun Turbo got knocked out in the 4th Round but that led to a high seed in the Loser's Bracket, which helped him get back in the Finals again Traction Event. As it turned out, K&O had to face (and defeated) TE twice!

http://imgb.redlinederby.com/mmd/98180e0e.jpg

The rest of the best...

Check out the complete bracket over on Challonge.com

As I was working on the video, a lot of the rounds were very close. Unfortunately for Trucker and the Saleen crew, their entries got knocked out by the 3rd Round and then dropped quick in the lower bracket too. Trucker's Hummer was just a bit too wide for the track with this ribbed wheels...although it did make a cool sound, wheeeezzz!

By Round 3, it was all about the Datsuns. Both K&O and Traction Event's Datsuns went on to Round 4 along with TE's AMG and my own Corvette. That surprised me because I figured my Chevy Stocker would to better but that Vette surprised...although it got taken out by TE's Datsun.

Something about the Semifinals felt familiar...oh yeah, Traction Event was racing himself for the Finals! His AMG and Datsun fought their way to the Finals where his Datsun won out. Then he just had to wait for the best of the worst.

High seeds for FOTF and K&O helped but their Datsuns held their own. TE's losing AMG was waiting for the dust to settle, and when it did, K&O's Turbo was left ready to roll. A win over the AMG sent K&O back to the main bracket for a final showdown - a battle between Datsun Turbos. I found it pretty funny that the same model car was racing in the Final. I guess if you need any more proof that those cars are fast, there you go.

http://imgb.redlinederby.com/mmd/6815059f.jpg

Since Traction Event was the first winner, if he won the Final against K&O it would have been over with another trophy on TE's mantle...but no, K&O wasn't giving up that easy! Keith edged out in the Final round to send it into overtime where his Datsun wouldn't take "No" for answer. 

For me, it was great to see some of the "legendary" Matchbox racers on my track. The difference between those older MBX models and some of the newer castings is night and day. None of these were modded but I can only imagine if you could add some extra weight and polish the axles on those Datsuns...they would fly!

http://img.redlinederby.com/mmd/5ef48da5.jpg

Again, congrats to K&O on another job well done in picking the right cars for the win. He'll get the prize pot shown below.

http://img.redlinederby.com/mmd/8ad2b180.jpg

So more great racing all around for this one. This was the last event on the RLD home track for the year and it was worthy of a final. 

View member profile
KandORacing 11/12/15

Wow!! Honestly, I didn't expect my cars to do much after their performance at the LJLRC. I guess this proves different tracks will yield different results. I'm very happy I gave these cars a second chance. Thank you to Brian for holding the race and great reporting & photography! A handshake to TE and the rest as well. 

View member profile
Saleens281 11/13/15

Thanks for hosting man! Bummer my cars didn't do so hot, but I didn't even graphite em. I know better after all my pinewood derbys! Lol Either way it was my first event and we can't wait to watch the racing! In other news my max traxxx electronic finish gate conversion is complete!!

to join the conversation or sign-up now