61-GRAM CHALLENGE

FOTF Friday, 4/19/2013

Jump to last page

As most of you might know, in the 'BWF Camaro Friendly Controversy' thread, many people questioned the racing authority of the JL '69 BWF Camaro. One of those few who actually support it (besides me) got themselves one recently, and is going to let us all know if he believes them to be fast. I have little doubt he will. But whatever the outcome of his Camaro, I still wish to let the RLD community know firsthand that the BWF is something to be feared in matters of racing. The only way to truly understand that, is to race against it. So, going by some of the principals set in the Friendly Controversy...

Car Regulations:
Stocks are allowed, and there is no weight limit to them. However, they must be COMPLETELY stock--not even with oil/lubricant/graphite/etc. Any brand of non-motorized/propelled car.
Mods must be 61 grams or less. DRY LUBES ONLY.
You must enter ONE CAR that abides by one of these sets of conditions (preferrably the fastest you can come up with, but that's really a personal choice). No, sadly, you cannot combine the two sets of regulations and make a weight-limitless Mod; however, you can have a below-61 gram Stock with dry lube (therefore turning it into a Mod). Also, your car must have a team sticker (for example, my Camaro always has an FOTF sticker on the trunk/back window area).

Time: Late June or early July (the specific date can be arranged to suit the needs of the host)

Place: TBD (any neutral party on this issue may volunteer--one already suggested it, but I don't want to put too much pressure on him to do it); possibly Preacher's or Iowastockar's place

I plan for this to be a one-venue event. A series would be interesting...but a neutral host is kind of necessary. Also, if this happens in the first place, please include $3 for the host to help return the cars. This event will be DOUBLE-ELIMINATION. All participants' wheels are to be quickly and gently checked to make sure they spin/are in place. I'd hate to be the one to get cheated out of the win by an easily-fixed out-of-place axle.

Prizes: Everyone who enters must also send in a decent, carded vehicle. Not just some mainline (this--and the potential loss of it--needs to have some literal AND figurative weight to it), but preferably metal-based and with at least some hope of being fast (however, if you can't find/afford one, a mainline will suffice--I don't want this event to be too expensive to enter). I'll probably send something like a Playing Mantis JL that I've had good experience with, for example. It doesn't need to be any particular brand. Winner takes all prizes.

P.S.: Please feel free to enter this event even if you have no particular opinion concerning the BWF Camaro. I got the feeling this event was seeming too centered around FOTF and his overpriced Camaro, so I want to make sure it's clear that it's another RLD event to be enjoyed like any other.

Entrants so far:

FOTF (Advent BWF Camaro)
GSpeedR (Halley's [Comet] Mercury Police Car)

Discussion

Page 1 of 3
View member profile
WorpeX 4/19/13

I have no cars which can beat the BWF from R.N.L so i'll pass on this event.

View member profile
FOTF 4/19/13

Suit yourself; but there's plenty of time to mod/find if you change your mind!

After Variation Jason turned me onto them, I have seen multiple JL BWF Camaros race on the league track that I am part of, I have yet seen one make it into the final four--including one I spent $$$ on. Its a 50 foot track, the starting gate isn't that high. Maybe four feet.

On Jason's track that starting gate is really high, where my kids had to step on a stool to get to the starting gate. The BWF camaro's did REALLY well on his track.

I think the starting gate is key for this car and the weight it has behind it. Make it run too long on the straightaway with a shorter starting gate and it losses its advantage.

So...if you want to see FOTF eat his words, use our league track

View member profile
FOTF 4/20/13

That could be a good point; most of the tracks I've seen it do good on--mine, LJLRC's, RIHWC's--have high starts (though mine has a proportionally longer straight). However, at RNL, I think it might've done better if it had had MORE straightaway.
Do you have any cars that can beat it on your track?

View member profile
Preacher 4/20/13

I think the starting gate is key for this car and the weight it has behind it. Make it run too long on the straightaway with a shorter starting gate and it losses its advantage.

There is alot of truth in this statement. But I've already committed myself by buying one of these cars...now I'm going to have to wait for its arrival in the mail. ( May take 1 month, inlaws out of town for 2 weeks. Sniff, sniff) But as soon as it arrives I will be testing, racing and videoing the whole thing for everyone to see. The straight away on my track is right at 23 1/2 feet so it should give the cars enough time to show their stuff. Once the cars hit the straight away that's where the REAL battle begins! Hey I'll do different types of setups to see just how much speed I can milk out of this car without doing any mods, and see how my HW's collection will stack up against it! I have about 500 cars that it can race against...and some are FAST! Hey after spending $20+ on this cars...I would love for it to beat anything I currently have. All I can say is "Stay Tuned".

Preacher

View member profile
FOTF 4/20/13

I don't think you're going to be dissappointed on that. Funny Cars and Redlines tremble in fear at the sight of these things.
What's currently your fastest car, Preacher?

View member profile
Preacher 4/20/13

I don't think you're going to be dissappointed on that. Funny Cars and Redlines tremble in fear at the sight of these things.
What's currently your fastest car, Preacher?

Thats a hard one to answer...it changes over time. One day it might be a CCM, or the next Ferrari 458 FTE, or a Treasure Hunt Cadillac V16, or Porsche Carrera GT FTE, or maybe 1967 Firdbird. I have a few more...but depending on the day and the tilt of the earth and the placement of the moon it all changes.

Preacher

View member profile
FOTF 4/20/13

Well if they're things that can compete with a Cadillac V-16...those cars aren't bad, but--well--the Camaro should destroy them. Though you wouldn't necessarily think that if you saw mine in action in the Factory Wars Intro Video. Very disturbing--my Camaro's never slow. NEVER.. I suspect an axle problem. Hopefully the wheel's just jammed to the side--easy problem to fix. Sinisterdog's went fine...

View member profile
FOTF 4/20/13

I wonder...would this really be an impartial event if it were hosted at a track where the Camaro is pointedly slow?

View member profile
Preacher 4/20/13

event if it were hosted at a track where the Camaro is pointedly slow?

All cars race differently on different tracks...worries, if my camaro is anything like yours then it will run just fine on my track.

Preacher

That could be a good point; most of the tracks I've seen it do good on--mine, LJLRC's, RIHWC's--have high starts (though mine has a proportionally longer straight). However, at RNL, I think it might've done better if it had had MORE straightaway.
Do you have any cars that can beat it on your track?

On the fifty footer, it has to run in a Muscle Car class.

I have multiple stock cars that can easily beat it there.
NItty Gritty Kitty (M/M)
1968 Nova-Easter Car (M/M)-Was Track Champion in this class in 2011 and runner up in 2012
Shely Cobra (M/M)
1971 Mustang FC (M/M)
And the surprise which easily beats these cars the 2012 release of the White version of 67 Shelby GT 500 (P/M). It has yet to lose a race on the 50 footer.

A guy came from western Iowa that brought a fast one and it made it to the race to get into the final four and lost against another JL-67 Pontiac GTO Xmen. That car then lost to my Nova and the 2012 Champion car-AMC Javelin FTE

View member profile
FOTF 4/21/13

That's interesting. It can be surprising how well modern cars do with short hills and long straights--I've heard about them doing well in Puerto Rico. Especially for MBX's. Have you ever tried Tiger Wheels? I hear they're good for that sort of track.